Sign in or start a free trial to avail of this feature.
1. Connecting to a Database
Databases are common in most businesses, but connecting to them can be more difficult than connecting to simple files. In this lesson, we’ll learn how to connect to a PostGreSQL database hosted online.
Overview of Databases
- Previous courses have focused on connecting to Excel sheets, but more complex connections, like databases are common in business
- In this course, we’ll see how to connect to a PostGreSQL database
Connecting to a PostGreSQL Database
- Power BI Desktop lets you get data from a wide variety of data source, including a large number of databases
- If you have not connected to a database before, you may need to download the program “ngpsql”, which is available here
- This allows Power BI Desktop to connect to the PostGreSQL server
- In order to connect to the database, you need to know the server, the database name, and you may also need a username and password