Sign in or start a free trial to avail of this feature.
1. Introduction to DAX
In this lesson, we will introduce DAX, discuss why Power Pivot needs its own formula language and introduce the dataset for this course.
What is DAX
- Data Analysis Expressions, or DAX, is the formula language used in Power Pivot
- When conducting analysis in the Excel data model, you use DAX formulas
Why does Power Pivot not just use normal Excel formulas?
- Normal Excel data is generally in an unstructured format
- Excel formulas are designed to work with cells or ranges of cells
- However, the Power Pivot data model is made up of structured tables and columns
- DAX is designed to work with this structured data model